Application for assisted passage by agricultural workers 1911–14: Series GRG 7/3
This series held by State Records of SA contains the applications and other records of assisted passage of agricultural labourers who migrated to South Australia between 1911 and 1914. It's a great genealogy record for anyone exploring their family history or building a family tree.
The front cover of each application gives:
- Surname and given names
- Date of arrival
- Name of ship
- Name of employer
- Address of employer
Within each file will be found the application form which records: name, address, age, date of birth, height, weight, employment history (with references attached), medical certificate, medical history and parent or guardian's authority.
The files also hold any related correspondence including letters from the applicant and employer, apprenticeship agreements and accounts relating to wages. The correspondence was usually generated after the arrival of the applicant.
The GRG 7 group contains records generated by the Department of Immigration, Publicity and Tourist Bureau created in 1917 by the merging of the Crown Lands and Immigration Office with the Intelligence and
- GRG 7/1 Nominations for assisted passage by nominee 1912-1914
- GRG 7/2 Applications for assisted passage 1911-17
- GRG 7/3 Application for assisted passage by agricultural workers 1911–14
- GRG 7/6 Application for assisted passage as farm apprentices 1922-24 (Barwell)
- GRG 7/7 Application for assisted passage as boy immigrants 1927-29
- GRG 7/8 Application by female domestic workers for assisted passage 1921-30; 38-9
- GRG 7/9 Farm youths, agricultural workers and settlers 1921-30
- GRG 7/10 Nominations by SA residents for assisted passage 1921-41
- GRG 7/39 Index to free colonial nominees 1876-79
- GRG 7/40 Schedule of free immigration certificates 1876-79
- GRG 7/41 Schedule of certificates issued under the full passage regulations 1865–67
- GRG 7/42 Certificates of nomination for a free passage 1876-78
- GRG 7/43 Certificates of nomination for a free passage from Europe 1876-79
- GRG 7/44 Index to free colonial nominees 1876-79
- GRG 7/45 Applications by SA residents to sponsor free passage 1881 & 1883
- GRG 7/47 Application for full passage 1873-83
- GRG 7/48 Notice of intention to pay balance of passage money 1883
- GRG 7/49 List of nominated persons 1911-15
- GRG 7/50 Weekly returns of nominees for assisted passage 1911-17
- GRG 7/51 Weekly returns of nominees for assisted passage 1912-14
- GRG 7/57 Schedules of persons nominated and approved for free passage 1921-24
Note The WW1_No refers to those farm boys who enlisted in the Australian Army for service during World War 1. By accessing these records at the National Archives of Australia, one can ascertain further personal information.
SRSA ~ State Records of South Australia
Data provided by Graham Jaunay.